26 August 2016 - LINDA LOFTS-WILES - Guest Author




LINDA LOFTS-WILES
- Guest Author -

G'day folks,

Today, I interview an emerging author from Australia.

Welcome, Linda ...


1.   TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR WRITING JOURNEY.
       
         My writing journey began many years ago in England on my last day at school.  The headmistress presented me with Jules Verne’s ‘Journey to the Centre of the Earth’ for the many stories I wrote.  It was unexpected.

2.   WHEN AND HOW DID YOU BECOME A WRITER?

            It was not until many years later that I started writing historical romance stories but after many rejection slips, I again stopped.

3.    WHAT TYPE OF PREPARATION DO YOU DO FOR A MANUSCRIPT? DO YOU PLAN EVERYTHING FIRST OR JUST SHOOT FROM THE HIP?

I use white boards to plot my story until the characters eventually take over and the words just flow.

4.   WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT BEING A WRITER?

Off world following my Alien friends, good and bad, where I have a certain amount of control, whereas human life is very controlled.



5.   WHAT IS THE HARDEST THING ABOUT BEING A WRITER?

Being a writer is easy however, it takes time away from my family.

6.   WHAT WERE YOU IN A PAST LIFE, BEFORE YOU BECAME A WRITER?

I worked in dept stores, raised a family, lived on a farm with horses, angoras, etc.

7.   WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST WRITING ACHIEVEMENT?

Completing my first novel, ERETEISIA - Ultimate Sacrifice and receiving the first hard copy in my hand.


8.   WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON AT THE MOMENT?

      I’m half way through the second book in the ERTEISIA trilogy.

9.   WHAT INSPIRES YOU?

     The Universe with its never-ending stories

10.              WHAT GENRE DO YOU WRITE?

Science fiction/Fantasy.

11.              DO YOU HAVE ANY TIPS FOR NEW WRITERS?

Don’t let rejection slips prevent you from writing. Persevere!   

12.              DO YOU SUFFER FROM WRITER’S BLOCK?

In the past, yes. Since writing ERTEISIA, no.



13.              DO YOU HAVE A PREFERRED WRITING SCHEDULE?

No, I write anytime that’s available. Once I begin, I have to be ‘pulled away’ for what I call the human necessities of life!

14.              DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE WRITING PLACE?

Front room looking out over my picturesque garden, and the forest of trees in the park.

15.              WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST JOY IN WRITING?

I can create and enjoy the adventure.

16.              WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE AUTHOR AND WHY?

Diana Gabaldon. Her descriptive words in action scenes are brilliant - she holds nothing back. I admire her brilliance.

17.              WHAT’S THE GREATEST COMPLIMENT YOU EVER RECEIVED FROM A READER?

ERTEISIA, along with a series, would make great movies.


18.              WRITERS ARE SOMETIMES INFLUENCED BY THINGS THAT HAPPEN IN THEIR OWN LIVES. ARE YOU?

      I guess in some instances, a reflection of my life creeps in.

19.              OTHER THAN WRITING, WHAT ELSE DO YOU LOVE?

Husband, family, and time in the garden, and nearby parks.  I also love to travel, both in and out of Australia.

20.              DID YOU HAVE YOUR BOOK / BOOKS PROFESSIONALLY EDITED BEFORE PUBLICATION?

After 15 edits, I reluctantly handed it to a professional editor.   Next book will go to the professionals much earlier.

21.              DESCRIBE YOUR PERFECT DAY.

                        To know all is well with my family, and warm sun on my body after  a satisfied few hours writing.

                   23.  IF YOU WERE STUCK ON A DESERT ISLAND WITH ONE PERSON,  WHO WOULD IT BE AND WHY?

My husband, because he can swim, fish, cook and make me  laugh!

      24. WHAT WOULD YOU SAY IF YOU HAD THE CHANCE TO SPEAK TO    WORLD LEADERS?

Action and reaction are opposite and equal! Cease hoarding money and ease the poverty around the world.

25.               WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR THE FUTURE?

Complete my trilogy and travel.  Who knows, there could even be a fourth book while I’m travelling!



            
26.              DO YOU SEE YOURSELF IN ANY OF YOUR CHARACTERS?

I see myself in all the characters I create.      


27.              DOES THE PUBLISHING INDUSTRY FRUSTRATE YOU?

Confuse, is the word I would use.

28.              DID YOU EVER THINK OF QUITTING?

I wouldn’t say ‘quit,’ I would say, “Damn you Orion get out of my head - or I’ll quit!”

29.              WHAT WAS YOUR FAVOURITE MANUSCRIPT TO WRITE? WHY?

ERTEISIA – Ultimate Sacrifice. Off world has more to offer when I open my mind.

30.               HOW WOULD YOU DEFINE ‘SUCCESS’ AS A WRITER.

Completing what you start and having the public love the plot and characters and buy it.

31.              WHAT SHOULD READERS WALK AWAY FROM YOUR BOOKS KNOWING? HOW SHOULD THEY FEEL?

There’s more to life than we realize. Never, ever give up on your inner strength and belief - dream big!

32.              WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE YOUR BOOKS MADE INTO MOVIES? EVER WRITTEN A SCREENPLAY?

I have never written a screenplay. My dream is to see the ERTEISIA trilogy as movies.

33.                HOW MUCH THOUGHT GOES INTO DESIGNING A BOOK COVER?

A lot of work and frustration.



35                WHAT’S YOUR ULTIMATE DREAM?

To be successful in all ventures

36.  WRITING IS ONE THING. WHAT ABOUT MARKETING YOU, YOUR BOOKS AND YOUR BRAND? ANY THOUGHTS?

I don’t relish this side of the business; however, Geoff is in his element.

37.                ARE YOUR BOOKS SELF-PUBLISHED?

Yes, on Kindle and Amazon Books.

38.              DESCRIBE YOURSELF IN FIVE WORDS.

Adventurous, stubborn, perfectionist, loving, caring

39.              WHAT IS THE TITLE OF THE LAST BOOK YOU READ? GOOD ONE?

ERTEISIA – Ultimate Sacrifice

40.               WHAT WOULD BE THE VERY LAST SENTENCE YOU’D WRITE?

The Universe of Universes will always be...  

41.               WHAT WOULD MAKE YOU HAPPIER THAN YOU ARE NOW? CARE  TO SHARE?

To realise my dream of sharing through my books wisdom gained from experience.

42.               ANYTHING YOU’D LIKE TO ADD?

I’ve integrated truth with fiction, truths that ‘popped up’ as I  
researched certain places. The reader will, I believe, see the clues within the story.



 


Clancy's comment: Thank you, Linda. Keep going. This is a tough business.

I'm ...










No comments:

Post a Comment